For the past couple years at Christmas time, I have been wanting to do a family outing to Snowflake Lane. I have friends who have sung its praises, stating it as a fun, free, holiday family event. So I was so excited when Aaron (who can at times be a bit, ahem... GRINCHY at holiday events) agreed to go this year. We already had some business to do in Bellevue so when our power went out at home (for some unknown reason) we decided to make a day of it. Well, apparently a FEW other people had a similar idea. It was ridiculously crowded. We arrived about a half hour early and people were already staking claim to their spots. So Aaron and Landon got us a spot while Levi and I went to get everyone Starbucks. I have never waited so long at a Starbucks. We waited the entire 30 minutes to get our drinks and barely made it back in time for it to start. It also proved to be not "exciting" enough for my action hungry boys. And I quote,"You mean all we're gonna do is just STAND here and watch them hit the drums?" You see, there was no room to do anything BUT stand there and watch. You couldn't move at all, there were people everywhere. So needless to say, we shouldn't have gone on a Saturday. I thought the lights were pretty and I could see where it might be fun under better circumstances, but I'm thinking I won't be getting another stab at it anytime soon. I did get some good photos, however, so I'll just be happy with that.
I'm still slowly coming to grips with the fact that I have boys. My boys just don't do Christmas lights, decorations, or basically many things that I deem "fun." They hate shopping and trying on clothes. They're not really into making crafts or looking cute. I don't hold these things against them of course. I love them just as they are. The problem comes when I have expectations for them to love these things because I think they should. Because I did when I was little. But I was, and very much am still, a GIRL. So I am choosing to embrace this life that I have been given, the life as a mother of boys. And I will be on the search for a Christmas tradition with a masculine flare. In the meantime, you can find me in our front yard throwing a football or in the trenches of a full on Nerf gun war... trying not to get mud on my heels.






4 comments:
Love the last pic! They'll want to know about the girlie things when they are wanting to impress a girl. :-)
Oh Sara, I love the pictures of you with your boys. We have much to discuss about our holiday expectations with our boys...
(I see the early american flare is still there...)
These pictures are great! I'm so sorry that it was a flop. I love it...and yes you shouldn't have gone on Saturday :)
Great photos...sorry about it being a fail. My men happen to love all things Christmas as much as I do...hadn't realized how rare that is. You are the cutest family!!! So blessed!
Post a Comment